Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Greek Bowls - Whatever Wednesday #8

By Vicky Nardone


So I have a new restaurant that I might be slightly obsessed with.  It's called Rachel's Mediterranean.  Thus far I have only tried their rice bowls and their greek fries, but they have several really good looking items on their menu that I plan to order during future visits.

Matt and I have a habit when we find something we like at a restaurant of trying to produce it at home.  So that's what I had to do when I tried these rice bowls for the first time!  They are absolutely delicious.  I was introduced to Rachels for the first time when I attended a training class for work.  One of the guys in the class asked any of us if we were interested in trying Rachels - he said he used to go there for lunch all the time when he worked downtown and it was delicious.  A bunch of us decided to go with him and he was right - it was delicious!

I've been taking everyone I know there when I have the chance and I have tried this recipe out on my mom and my husband.  My mom said she thinks it's just as good as Rachel's rice bowl.  The best part?  There's a vegetarian and non-vegetarian variation of the recipe for you to try.



Ingredients (serves two)
  • 8 Falafel Balls (vegetarian) or 1 breast of chicken (non-vegetarian)
  • 1 Package of boil in a bag white or brown rice (personally I like the brown rice better)
  • Greek Dressing (for non-vegetarian version only)
  • 3 or 4 leaves of romaine lettuce
  • 10 cherry tomatoes
  • 10 - 15 kalamata olives
  • Feta cheese
  • Dill Dip
  • Tzatziki sauce (you should be able to find this at most grocery stores.  Mine had it near the olive bar)


 Instructions
  1. Put a bot of water on to boil for your rice.  Once the water is boiling throw in the bag of rice and set your timer for whatever the instructions on the bag say.
  2. While the water is heating for the rice, if you are making the non-vegetarian version, cut your chicken into bite size pieces and throw it into a skillet with some Greek Dressing.  Cook until the chicken is cooked through and slightly brown on the inside.  If you are making the vegetarian version, throw your falafel balls into the toaster oven for 8-10 minutes.
  3. Cut up your lettuce, tomatoes and olives.
  4. Layer your ingredients into a bowl in the following order: rice, chicken or falafel balls, lettuce, tomato, olives, feta cheese, a scoop of tzatziki sauce and a scoop of dill dip.
That's it!  I think it took me about 20-25 minutes to put together and it was definitely a wonderful dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment