Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Homemade Salsa - Whatever Wednesday #9

By Vicky Nardone



I love going out to authentic Mexican restaurants and most of the reason is the delicious chips and salsa they bring you as an appetizer. I usually eat enough chips and salsa to make me full and then I end up being super full by the time I finish the actual meal I've ordered. Does anyone else remember ChiChis or Don Pablos? Those were my favorite Mexican restaurants to go to as a kid. Nowadays my husband and I find ourselves at the hole in the wall type places when we're looking for authentic Mexican food.

Most of the salsa I find in the grocery store doesn't come close to being the same kind as you get from the Mexican restaurants. It's too chunky for me and it has something added that gives it a flavor I really don't care for (probably all the preservatives added so that I can sit on a store shelf for a long time). The brand I liked the best from the stores was Herdez salsa and I've had no luck finding that brand in mild lately. I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands and make salsa at home.



I adapted this recipe and now I have my salsa just the way I like it!  If you like a smooth mild salsa, I guarantee you will like this one too.  And it doesn't have all the added extras you find in store bought salsa.

Ingredients
  • 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 of a sweet vidalia onion chopped into pieces
  • 1 green pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2/3 teaspoon cumin
  • 2/3 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/16 cup canning salt
  • 1/8 cup sugar
  • 1/8 cup vinegar
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 1 and 1/2 cups of water
Instructions
Put all of the ingredients in a pot on the stove together.  Heat on medium until vegetables start to get soft.  Use an immersion blender until the salsa is no longer chunky.  Turn heat off and let salsa cool for half an hour or so on the stove.  Put salsa in a covered container in the fridge and cool for several more hours.  Server with chips and enjoy!

Now does anyone have any good recipes for homemade restaurant style chips? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment